Monday, June 13, 2016

maker/mother: Maryanne Moodie

Well hello! It's been a long time since I last updated my blog. For awhile now I've been searching to find the right kind of post to begin anew. After my son Dylan was born last July I realized that I had changed in other ways than I had expected. I knew motherhood would change my life (duh). But, the kinds of information and images I was drawn to had also evolved. I was drawn more to the work (and lives) of other mothers with businesses. Cradling and nursing him in the wee hours of the morning I would stare into my phone in the darkness, wondering who else was awake, how often their babes woke in the night, whether they laid in a bassinet or on their chest as Dylan laid on mine.

When I started working again I wondered how other business owners negotiated this twisted dance. When did they return to work? Where were their children while they worked? And then it occurred to me, I could ask them.

I'm happy to say that my first maker/mother interview is with Maryanne Moodie, the vibrant Aussie fiber goddess. A mother of two, she is one of my top inspirational mothers, and her youngest son Rudi is only a few months older than Dylan.

My goal in this series is to provide a glimpse into a part of their lives that is not always as public, but which provides the foundation for everything- their families.

Read the first interview after the jump...
 

Maker/Mother 1
Maryanne Moodie, Brooklyn, NY


How old are your children? Murray is 3.5 and Rudi is 12 months

How old is your business? About 4 years. 

Do you work on it full time or part time and what does that look like for you? I work part time. I go into my studio 3 mornings a week from 9-2pm.  Then I also weave at home and take care of emails. 

When you started your business were you already a mother or were they born after your business was established? How was the transition to mother -and- business owner? I was pregnant when I started weaving. I never really looked at it as being a business.  It just grew organically as much as I allowed it and had energy to put in. 

If you took time off after your child was born how soon afterwards did you go back to work? I started weaving after about 3 weeks and I was back in the studio regularly (with babe) after about 3 months. 

Do you take care of your children full time or do you use childcare/school? Murray has school 2 days a week, and we have a babysitter 3 mornings a week from 9-2. 

How do you find being both a mother and a creative? Do you feel balanced (what does balanced mean to you)? I feel totally creative.  I feel like I have a lot of freedom compared with someone who travels on the subway every morning at 8am, works in a windowless office, eats at the same cafe and 5 days a week, there is no real change.  I never know what each day holds, but I have the ability to make the call about how much energy and time I put into any part of my life each day.  I think that is balance for me. 

What is your ideal working environment and time management strategy? I think I have it - Part time in the studio, part time at home, every afternoon doing something cool with my little guys. Weekends - no work! I do have an amazing group of ladies who work for my in the studio so that I don't have to do financial stuff, admin or repetitive stuff like balling yarn anymore.  Now I just teach and weave.  It's a sweet life! 

What time of the day or time of week is best for you to work? I work best in the mornings. 

If I could give you two extra hours in your day what would you use them for? Exercise! Running, walking, yoga.  And a Massage! They are the things that fall to the wayside.  I run around a lot after my little dudes and walk 40mins to and from work and listen to music, but i really want to spend more time doing intentional exercise. 

What is your favorite memory of motherhood to date? Seeing how much my #1 fell in love HARD for my #2.  They really are best of friends.
  
Thanks so much for answering all my questions Maryanne! Check in for the next maker/mother interview next month!

4 comments:

  1. Love this! Such a good idea for a series, I look forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Information on the different phases of the Moon and Planet Earth presents an overview of several aspects of our moon and earth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Information on the different phases of the Moon and Planet Earth presents an overview of several aspects of our moon and earth

    ReplyDelete