Wednesday, April 3, 2013

spring planting




We spent this past weekend doing a lot of work in our new little garden, and I've spent a bit of each day since with my hands in the soil.  Our biggest change over the weekend was getting a few little fruit trees in the soil.  We have two apple saplings in the back (Braeburn and Gala) and a Stanley Plum sapling in the middle of our little square front garden.  We also planted a little Leon Gambetta Lilac bush in the back (3rd photo) and I'm psyched to have these blossoms in my backyard!

The wooden frames you can see around our vegetable beds will soon be permanent cages with hinged doors, to keep out our local foraging animals but allow us to get inside.  I was inspired by this photo I found last week.  We actually have a surprising amount of wildlife in our backyard considering its little size!  Lots of birds, including a cardinal couple, the usual squirrels, worms under every inch of soil, and a family of little garter snakes! 


Even though I only took these photos a few days ago the yard already looks different!

No comments:

Post a Comment