Friday, October 14, 2011

elemental platonic solids


Got a photo this morning of the Elemental Platonic Solids stained glass series that I mentioned in my post late last night.  These are smaller than the other sculptures I have been making, they measure from 2" to 3.5" high.  The smaller size makes them really tactile (the blue icosahedron in particular is just asking me to toss it around, but I'm restraining myself!)

To recap from the post - Plato assigned each of the five shapes to one of the elements.  
So, the tetrahedron symbolizes fire, the cube is earth, the octahedron is air, the icosahedron is water, and the dodecahedron is the universe, or sometimes the zodiac, as it is made up from twelve pieces like the twelve signs in the zodiac.

I drew from this to make this series, illustrating each element through the stained glass colors.  I will be selling this as a set, but I think that they would make great gifts if you correspond the shape to someone's astrological sign, so I may make some more of these as individual pieces.  

Check out my last post if you want to see which shape would correspond to your sign.

© 2011 ABJ Glassworks
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment