Friday, September 9, 2011

work: portable art


I've been working on some stained glass jewelry as an extension of the Platonic Solid series.  I see these as a portable version of the series.  These jewelry pieces consist of the two-dimensional shapes I use to make the platonic solids: triangles, squares and pentagons. 

Like the platonic solids, this jewelry plays with the light.  I love that the color of the glass seems to change as the sunlight fades or strengthens throughout the day. 

To make the pendants and bracelets I worked with jewelry-quality stained glass materials.  To solder the shapes I used environmentally friendly flux along with Silvergleem lead-free solder, which makes the jewelry suitable for heavy, everyday use with constant skin contact :).  To finish them off I use  silver-plated chains and fastenings.

These pieces in particular will become parts of bracelets (which will be in the shop on the weekend), but I have pendants available in my shop already!

No comments:

Post a Comment