Friday, September 2, 2011

series: Platonic Solids

Cube No.1, Cube No.4, Cube No.5
Dodecahedron No.2, Octahedron No.3, Octahedron No.4

I have been working all week making new stained glass platonic solids to put in the shop.

You may or may not have noticed that the original group I listed at the beginning of the week have what looks to be shredded balls of paper inside.  If you have been to my shop then you will have already figured out what this is, but for those who have not, these are poems or excerpts from literature that I have selected.  Some are writings that I have always loved, some I have only come across recently.  

So what is behind the Platonic Solids you ask?  This series is drawn from a work I did about seven years ago.  I made a stained glass cube, like the ones above but more opaque, to house a poem I had written.  I did not really want to share the poem with anyone, but I wanted to harness the feelings in the poem.  I drew from the poem when selecting the colors for the cube and then I shredded the printed poem and housed it in its glass box.

In this way, I have done the same for these classic poems.  I have drawn from the poems of Keats, Coleridge, Thomas, Williams, and more when creating these sculptures; feeding off the emotion and energy all poetry contains when selecting the shapes, sizes and colors.  

I still hold on to the shredding of the actual poem inside because for me poetry is an intimate experience, grasping at the inexpressible.  I shred the poems so that others will only know what is inside if you choose to tell them.    If you have one of these then this will be up to you.

I have also created some hollow stained glass sculptures, which I will be putting in the shop today, as I believe that the shapes in themselves are interesting and beautiful as well.

As always, I hope you enjoy.  Feel free to comment and/or ask me any questions!

Click here to learn what a platonic solid shape is.

Cube No.2

© 2011 ABJ Glassworks
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment