Friday, September 23, 2011

inspire: fallingwater


I find that the most inspiring places I go to for ideas are out in the natural world.  There is nothing more interesting than the shapes that nature can create over thousands and millions of years. 

These photos are a bit old now.  They're from a trip I took out to Falling Water (the Frank Lloyd Wright house in Mill Run, PA) with my friends.  You can see how Wright took care to make the buildings one with nature and to mirror the surroundings, often even bringing the outside to the inside, so that the house feels it grew from the rocks.  As interesting as the house was, I found the land that it sits on to be the most interesting.

For me it was all about the sandstone.  These massive walls created by compressed sand over millenia.  They are geometric and hard, and yet they undulate and seem to follow the river that has helped to give its shape.  As with most inspiring things, I don't know yet how these rocks will materialize in my work.  What new shapes or colors or play of light they will bring out.  But I know that for now this experience is sitting in the back of my mind and is probably already oozing into my new work.



I also liked this little natural garden, which was growing in a nook of the house's balcony. 

Here, nature is everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment